Today marks the completion (for now) of the Allison Jr. Farmhouse dollhouse living room! When we last left off, I had completed the built-in bookcases, installed the library lights and completed most of the trim work. To read more about that process read our first post.
With those main elements in place, I began to work on finishing the trim work that would add even more character to this room. I added the corner moldings on the walls to hide transitions from one wallpaper to another and added the wainscot trim to the top of the shiplap pieces for a cleaner look.
Once I added the french door (that task was difficult as it required cutting the door opening an inch higher), I was able to complete the base molding throughout the entire room. Just adding the trim made it feel as if the room itself was complete.
Of course, in my vision of this space, I wanted to have several large beams running across, and so I got to work on the ceiling.
I once again used the same lap board and batten sheets that I used throughout the house for consistency. This time I stained them a beautiful natural oak color to offer a contrast to the dark floors and the beams that would go up. This task was tricky as I had to keep the chandelier placement in mind and at the time, I hadn’t ordered the coffee table, so I estimated and taped down the locations of all the furniture and hoped for the best!
The ceiling took several days while I waited for the boards to dry, so I began testing the furniture pieces as they arrived. It gave me a perfect sense of what the space would feel like once complete.
My favorite part was probably adding all of the books, trinkets and picture frames to the bookcases. It has the curated, but the slightly messy feel of a lived in home where every item has a unique story. Those blue and white pieces are my absolute favorite!
When I finally completed the ceiling panels, I added three long beams that I stained Jacobean 2750 by Minwax, and although it is not the same color as the floors, it is a similar shade, and so it ties in well. The last step was to add the crown molding in between all of the beams and in the window nook.
Look at the space all lit up!
It was around this time that I began to work on the sofa and chair for the living room. The process wasn’t too tricky, but it did take a couple of days while the glue and paint dried.
Once all the large pieces were in place, it was time to decorate!
I love the completed look, and I consider it a success that I was able to create a sophisticated yet relaxed chic mood on a miniature scale.
While there are some small things that I might add later on or alter after I have completed the rest of the house, I am calling this one done for now. Next up … the small but stylish second-floor hallway.
See you all next time!