The work on a miniature dollhouse happens differently for each person. Some folks work on one element throughout the entire house before moving on to the next element, while others work room by room. I am the type of miniaturist that does the latter, and so I address each room individually and work to make it feel cohesive to the rest of the space as I go along.
As I wrapped up the work on the second-floor hallway, lots of trim present there as well, I began to design the third floor for the Allison Jr. Farmhouse dollhouse. The top floor is currently split into two rooms, a wider hallway that leads to a larger room with two windows.
Unlike the other rooms in this house, I will be converting this larger room into two separates spaces to house the bedroom and bathroom. Since one of the bathroom walls will have to be removable (otherwise how can a person spy inside?), it has been a daunting task to get started. Like any other dedicated person, I have of course been doing the right thing and … heck, I completely ignored it and have moved on to something else!
It’s true! I have been going so crazy working out a plan I like, that I decided to alter other areas of the house while I mentally prepare for the real work inside. That is why today’s post is about the foundation. See? We got there eventually!
The foundation boards of the house were painted in a darker shade of grey, Rust-Oleum’s Winter Gray in Gloss, and have been left alone while I worked on the interior. I have always known that it would be wrapped in brick and would add to the farmhouse charm by hopefully looking worn enough to contrast the crisp white siding and shiny light grey shutters. So, I found these pretty bricks at my favorite online store, and immediately got to work.
The process was pretty time consuming but relatively simple since I needed to place them in a pattern that scattered the lighter bricks evenly. I also left a little space in between each brick for the mortar. Now, the spacing is a preference, and since I thought that I would whitewash the entire thing afterward, I wanted to leave a wider gap than someone else might.
The only tricky spot was around the electrical connection located towards the back of the house, but aside from that, it was straightforward.
I followed that step by lightly coating all of the bricks with a clear sealer that I let dry for a little over 24 hours. It gave the bricks a bit of a sheen, and would allow me to slather on the mortar and easily wipe it off once done. They recommend using a sponge to brush it on, but I used a wet paper towel and my fingers to get the mortar into the crevices and found that to work well.
Here is the foundation as well as the front step after the sealer and mortar. I really love it! It has completely changed how the house looks, and while it was a beautiful exterior in the before picture, it is really cool in the after.
Up next, porch floors and decorations. Until next time!
Leave a Reply