The reveals continue! If you missed last week’s Linen Project Bathroom Reveal – catch up HERE. Today we are sharing the Linden Project kitchen, and we are so excited! While this room may have been the simplest from a construction perspective (everything in it had to go!), it was pretty tough to design in the beginning. Missed our plans for the space and how our mood board changed? – Catch up HERE.
This small kitchen measures 8.5ft by 4.5ft, and when we conducted our first walkthrough, it was challenging to fit in the crew to determine the scope of work. It was clear that in addition to the damaged cabinets and non-functioning appliances, that there just wasn’t enough counter space. The placement of the refrigerator meant that prep space was limited to the area between the sink and the stove, and there was an unused area to the right of the entrance.
The kitchen also had this little cubby by the refrigerator which would have been great if it were accessible, but it just did not work with the old or new layout.
The room needed a complete transformation, and so we began our work on demo day.
We removed all of the old and broken cabinets, damaged countertops, and run-down appliances. What was left looked pretty bad, but to me, it was an excellent blank slate.
Before starting the repair work to the walls and floor, we knew that we needed first to confirm that all of the pieces would work in this room. I measure and remeasure a million times, but always dry-fit the furniture before attaching any of it to the walls.
It was going to be perfect!
We installed new floors, closed the cubby in the kitchen, and patched the walls. Although primer can sometimes be all a room requires before painting, in this case, due to the lack of proper ventilation in the apartment, we needed to coat the walls with plaster in some areas (like the entry wall below) before even adding primer.
We tested out the affordable EKBACKEN countertop from IKEA for a perfect fit before installing it and adding the drop-in sink.
With the base cabinet location figured out, we began the installation of the upper cabinets, careful to leave enough room on the right for the addition of personalized floating shelves in the future. It was lovely to see the kitchen start to come together.
Our installation of the appliances completed the space and so we began accessorizing. This kitchen is now a room where the Janniere family can comfortably prepare their meals with plenty of storage and prep-space.
We are so happy to have been a part of this transformation and it would not have been possible without our crew and their hard work. Thank you!
If you love this kitchen, let us know! We would love to hear from you. Stay up to date with the latest by visiting our Instagram account (#LPILindenProject & #LPIGivesBack) and our Facebook page.
Until next time!
Leave a Reply